Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Crockpot Yogurt


Several months ago I started making my own yogurt. We usually go through at least one large container of plain yogurt a week which costs about $2 a carton. I can make my own for less than $2 and it makes about two yogurt containers worth or 64 ounces. For simplicity sake, let's say it comes out to about $1 dollar per 32 ounces. It doesn't save much money but it's simple to make and there's just something very satisfying about making your own yogurt. It's one of those foods I always assumed you had to buy until I tried to make my own.
It is not as thick as store bought yogurt. I tried straining it with a cheese cloth and made a huge mess without much success at making it thicker. The more yogurt that's in the fridge, the more we eat, especially with all the yummy summer fruit coming into season. I love to make smoothies for breakfast using yogurt as well.

Here's the original recipe  I used and a quick summary of how I make my yogurt. While there is little labor involved it is a long process so plan accordingly. The total process takes 13.5 hours. I like to start mine around four or five in the afternoon, so it will be ready by the morning. I think it's okay if it sits covered for more than eight hours.

Crock Pot Yogurt

  • Pour 8 cups of whole milk into crockpot
  • Cook on low for 3 hours
  • After three hours unplug the crockpot and allow to sit for 2.5 hours
  • After 2.5 hours whisk in 1/2 plain yogurt as a starter culture. I always use store bought for this, I think the bacteria is stronger in it, but homemade from your last batch may work as well.
  • Cover the crockpot with a towel and allow to sit for 8 hours. 
  • Decant into smaller containers and refrigerate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment