Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Saving Time in the Kitchen

Freezer cooking can involve not only marinated meats and complete dishes but also parts of meals that making cooking quicker and easier. Two things I like to prep for my freezer that aren't actual meals are onions and cooked brown rice.


I buy a big bag of onions every few weeks and chop them all when I have some time. It takes about fifteen to twenty minutes (I'm kinda slow with the knife) and I have prepared onions ready to grab out of the freezer when a dish calls for them, saving me five minutes while cooking. After you chop each onion place it in a quart size freezer bag and label. Now when I go to make tortilla soup  this week I don't have to stop and cut up an onion.


When I make brown rice I will make four to six cups and freeze two cup portions. To reheat, place in microwave safe bowl, add a bit of water and steam in the microwave covered. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice with the rice. I hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to freeze rice yet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it almost works better if the rice is slightly undercooked when you freeze it. Brown rice takes such a long time and I'm always forgetting to make a grain.

    ReplyDelete