Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie

This has become my go to take a mom a meal. For the longest time I was hesitant to sign up to bring new mothers dinner because I hadn't the foggiest idea what to cook for them. I wanted something hearty without beans or broccoli as I know it bothers some breastfeeding babies. It need to be easy to take over and be cooked before hand or allow her to cook it herself or be frozen.

If I bring this to a friend, I usually include fruit salad and maybe some healthy muffins for dessert or breakfast. Since it has lots of veggies mixed in already you don't have to have a separate vegetable side although steamed veggies or a salad go nicely.

Wonderful Pinterest brought me the most fabulous chicken pot pie recipe I have ever tasted. It's so creamy and delicious, my family can nearly go through a whole one in one sitting plus a lunch for David. In a few years from now I will have to make two pies to feed all of us! 

The only down side to the recipe is you have to cook it at 425 for at least 30 minutes which make my chicken boiling hot in August! Alternatively you can cook it in the morning and reheat it for dinner.

Pie Crust- store bought or use this Martha Stewart simple dough recipe

*I've had luck making this dairy free with almond milk and vegan butter. I suppose you could try coconut or another oil in lie of butter for the rue.

Recipe courtesy of One Crazy Cookie
Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
1/3 cup butter 
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1  1/2 cups water
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules or 2 cubes.
1 cup chicken, cooked and diced
2 cups cooked diced vegetables (I use potatoes, carrots and peas.  You can also use frozen mixed veggies)
2 pie crusts

Cook vegetables until tender.  Set aside.  In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.  Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly and boil for 2 minutes.  (It should be like gravy). Remove from heat. Stir in chicken and vegetables. Put bottom crust into pie pan.  Pour filling into crust. Place 2nd crust over filling.  Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top of the crust.  


Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.  You may want to shield the edges after the first 15 minutes to avoid over browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment