Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Favorite Baby Items 
A friend recently asked me for recommendations for baby items. What is a must have (at least for us) and what to borrow. Less the obvious items like a carseat and crib here my recommendations for items I have enjoyed using.


Ergo Baby carrier, I just bought this and love the ease and simplicity of using it. I have a Moby wrap as well but I don't like it for running errands or travel. I find it comes loose when I take her in and out and I have to take it off compleltely to nurse. The Ergo has two buckles and takes just seconds to put on.




It's very comfortable for you and baby and allows the baby to sit in a natural sitting position as opposed to the dangling position forward facing carriers like Baby Bjorrn have, which also puts pressure on their hips. Can be worn front, hip or back.

Pack in play- I just bought a simple one without all the bells and whistles. Perfect for trips to grandparents or a second sleeping place when the baby still sleeps in your bedroom.

Swaddle I almost always swaddled Laura in the swaddle these instead of a blanket. Get two for when one is in the wash.




My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow. I preferred this over the Boppy pillow, it allows you to adjust the height at which the pillow sits around your waist and bring baby higher to you  and the Boppy was too low for me. 



Booster/highchair  I'm all for inexpensive and simple so I have a simple hand me down booster instead of a full sized highchair. Get one that is easy to wipe down or wash. The full sized ones take up a lot of space.  

Ultimate Crib Sheet Goes on top of your crib sheet to protect from stains. Love this especially since Laura spits up all day long. Also get a waterproof mattress protector for under the sheet.

Sound machine and night light for the nursery. 



Wipeable bibs for eating solids 


Baby food mill- grinds up the food your are eating for dinner for baby to eat.

Stroller- I originally had a travel system and a jogging stroller that were  given to us. If I could do it again I'd buy a carseat and base that would snap into my jogger. Many jogging strollers sell an attachment that allows for a infant car seat to snap in. That way you only need one stroller for everyday and running. Plus the travel system strollers don't feel very sturdy on anything but indoors or smooth concrete. I didn't even like walking in the neighborhood with ours. I finally got rid of both strollers and bought a Baby Trend jogging stroller that my carseat snaps onto. Also I wish we had bought two car seat bases, one for each car. 

Cute diaper bag that doubles as a purse. I splurged and bought a very nice bag from JJ Cole that looks like a purse. You won't want to carry a diaper bag and a purse, it's just too much to carry plus trying to wrangle a baby. 



Things to borrow-
Bumbo seat - she loved this for about two months, luckily it was a hand me down.

Swing- can be a life saver if your having trouble getting baby to sleep but they are pricey and bulky to store. I'm sure you have a friend in town who is itching to get hers out of her house.

Bouncy seat- super useful for the first few months but again, someone probably has one you can borrow. 


Three book recommendations for sleep- 
Healthy sleep habits happy child
The secrets of the baby whisperer 
The baby whisperer solves all your problems.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading these kinds of posts. Interesting what each person considers a must-have. Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were any of these must haves for you and E? Thinking about you today, I called Laura "Emma"!

    ReplyDelete