Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

California Grapefruit and Avocado Salad

California Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
This recipe is passed down from my dad's mother, Margaret who passed away last month. 
My Grandmother Margaret holding me as a newborn

Ingredients 
Lettuce of your choice - I prefer spring mix or baby spinach
Large avocado
Large grapefruit  
Oil and vinegar salad dressing

Directions
Cut avocado in half with a sharp knife. Whack the avocado pit with your sharp knife and twist to easily remove the pit.


Slice the avocado into cubes and scoop out with a spoon.

Cut the ends off the grapefruit and stand it on the cut off end so it is stable on the cutting board. Sorry I don't have pictures of this, I didn't actually have a grapefruit on hand.

With a long thin knife such as a boning knife, slice of the skin as close to the flesh as possible.

Then take the knife along the sections of membrane and cut out the flesh leaving the membrane behind. Here's a helpful tutorial with directions and a somewhat long winded video if my directions are terrible and just confusing you even more. Whatever you do, remove the grapefruit membrane before serving the grapefruit. Unless you are a goat, they are terribly chewy and hard to eat.

You can use any type of vinegar to make a vinaigrette but I would steer clear of white for this recipe and choose white wine vinegar. Balsamic or specialty flavored vinegar make for nice dressings as well.  All you ever need to about about vinaigrette is the magic ratio of oil to vinegar is 3 to 1. 


Layer grapefruit and avocado on your bed of greens and top with oil and vinegar dressing.


Happy Eating  


Check out Life as Mom for more tasty summer salad. Do you have a favorite hot weather recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment