Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tuna Casserole

I never know what to make for lunches on the weekend, I hate sandwiches and David's tired of eating them by Friday. I used to eat a can of tuna a day in high school until I read that you should limit your consumption because of the high mercury content. 


I normally don't like baked tuna because it tastes quite fishy but this recipe was delicious and after the two of us ate, there were enough leftovers for tomorrow's lunches. Because I try my best to use whole foods and cook from scratch, I don't use canned cream soups. Unfortunately, most casserole recipes call for cream of mushroom or cream of chicken. Instead of canned soup, this recipe makes a delicious and simple roux from scratch.  


Recipe courtesy of Diary of a Housewife
From-Scratch Tuna Casserole

3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk 
2 heaping tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 cans tuna, drained
1 pound rotini pasta, cooked very al dente (very important, otherwise it will get mushy while baking!)
salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to taste 
1 heaping tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
2 heaping tablespoons panko bread crumbs (I used plain)

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour all at once.  Add the milk a little at a time, whisking continuously until a thick sauce is formed (approximately ten minutes).  Remove from heat.

Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and seasonings, whisking until well combined.  Add the pasta and tuna.  Mix well, and spread in an oiled 8x8  casserole dish. 

Top with Parmesan cheese, and panko bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then broil on low for 2-3 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy! Andy doesn't like tuna, but this would probably make great lunches for the boys and I.

    ReplyDelete