Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Finding Christ in Disappointment

I held off watching the news all day yesterday. I knew there wouldn't be any results until at least 8pm our time so finally at 8:50 I turned on the TV. Obama at 244 and Romney at 203 I knew the election was, for all intents and purposes, over.

I turned if, off not wanting to be totally disgusted and sat on the couch sullen. A few minutes later I turned it back on, only to see Ohio called for Obama bringing him to 266 electoral votes and close enough to a win to call it over. 

The night before last, David and I sat at the dinner table discussing the election and the possible outcome and I remarked how easy it was to think that Romney was somehow our conservative political savior who would come riding in to save America from massive deficits, big government and a decaying economy. But he's not! Christ is our Savior. God uses men for His Glory and to bring about His will but we cannot look to politicians to save us. Christians in this country are so used to living in a so called Christian nation where morality, honor, integrity and belief in God are held by the majority of citizens. It seems this era may be coming to a close but we cannot despair. Christ has died, he has risen, and he will come again! 

As I laid in bed last night, nearly in tears, I was reminded of God's sovereignty and His love for us. That is all that matters when I come to the end of my time here on earth. This hymn from the 19th century was brought to mind and I meditated on it as I fell asleep. 

  1. My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
    • Refrain:
      On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
      All other ground is sinking sand,
      All other ground is sinking sand.
  2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
    I rest on His unchanging grace;
    In every high and stormy gale,
    My anchor holds within the veil.
  3. His oath, His covenant, His blood
    Support me in the whelming flood;
    When all around my soul gives way,
    He then is all my hope and stay.
  4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
    Oh, may I then in Him be found;
    Dressed in His righteousness alone,
    Faultless to stand before the throne.

Christ Jesus was nailed, bleeding and naked to a tree like a common criminal when he had the power to take himself down and walk away. Instead, he willingly hung there, died and was seperated from his heavnly father. Just for his people. One day "all that is sad will come untrue" and until that day we strive on to honor God and serve him in the broken, messy, fallen world we live in. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice reminder, Mary. I'm forwarding this to a few friends.

    ReplyDelete