Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spicy Hop 'n Johns

I didn't discover Hop 'n Johns until I got married and they are a super easy, frugal and healthy meal that also freezes well. The only downside of this recipe is the fact that you have to have a leftover ham hock or bone to make it with. While spiral sliced isn't the only way to buy ham, it's certainly the easiest and tastiest in my opinion. Spiral sliced ham is rather expensive but in January I buy several on clearance, cut them up into more manageable portions and freeze them. 

Spicy Hop 'n Johns (from my mother in law)2 cups (1 bag or 1 lbs) dried black eyed peas (soaked overnight or boil 2 min then soak 1 hour)*
ham hock
2c chopped tomatoes
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped onion
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
8 cups water 1/4 t basil
1 bay leaf
1 c brown rice
Add all ingredient to peas except rice. Simmer 1.25 hours or until peas are tender. Remove ham from bone. Add rice simmer till rice is tender apx 45 min.

* Be sure to drain all beans after soaking, it makes them less gassy, easier to digest and who wants to cook beans in the now dirty water they were soaking in?

No comments:

Post a Comment