Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Learning to serve the Lord and my family one day at a time.

Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

How I earned $400 in 5 1/2 hours


Or my long air travel adventure to Texas.

David and I woke up at 4 am on Thursday morning to drive me to the airport and arrive by 5 for a 6:20 flight. I missed a flight after getting a flat tire when David and I were dating so I'm always careful now to allow myself to be at the airport a full hour and a half before take off now. When I arrived at the gate I found out the longer airstrip was closed and planes were having to reduce their passenger load in order to make weight and take off on the shorter runway.

The gate agent was desperately asking for volunteers to take a flight out of Atlanta and received a  $400 travel voucher. It tempted me at first, but I was tired and six months pregnant and at first decided not to volunteer. After everyone had boarded the plane, the plane was grossly overweight for the short runway even though there were only 33 passengers aboard a 50 seat plane. They called again for volunteers and this time I caved. A $400 travel voucher would get me another trip to Texas and I know David and I will be making a trip out here with baby next spring and we are NOT driving 1200 miles with a baby!

Nine people had to get off the airplane to make weight but finally enough volunteered and the plane was able to take off half full! The airline hired two cabs to shuttle us all to Atlanta and off I went to catch at direct flight from Atlanta to Austin at 2:30. I was originally supposed to arrive in Austin at 10 am but finally got into Austin at 3:30 central time. It made for a long day but I was so excited to receive the travel voucher it made it all worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment